The following questions will help you evaluate the role that alcohol or other substances play in your life.
- Do you lie or otherwise conceal how much you use?
- Do you have blackouts or forget things that happened while you were using drugs or alcohol?
- Do you ever miss work or school because you are under the influence of or recovering from using drugs or alcohol?
- Have you ever decided to stop using the substance, but begin using it again a few days later?
- Do you always use drugs or alcohol to deal with a certain situation – when you are depressed, insecure or celebrating?
- Do you drink or use drugs before you go to parties or bars to “prime” for the event?
- Do you spend money on drugs or alcohol when you really need or want it for something else, like paying bills or taking a vacation?
- Have your family or friends ever told you that you drink or use drugs too much?
- Do you do things under the influence that you regret when you are sober?
- Do you drink or use drugs by yourself?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may want to take a look at the role that alcohol or drugs play in your life. If you answered, “yes” to four or more, you may want to consider seeking help in changing your lifestyle.
*Prepared by Holy Spirit Hospital